Thursday, March 18, 2010

What VOOY Means to Me

Every morning I wake up and realize I’m lucky. Lucky to have a house, a bed, food, games, and a family who cares for me. When I saw all the faces of the children in the orphanage, who lived in such bad conditions, I realized how fortunate I truly am. Fifteen children had only one mamita who took care of them and gave them love. Although these children had only a few things, they were smiling and playful. Their happiness does not require the superficial things that our society depends upon. The children of Virgen de Fatima have learned that all a person needs is love. They have been abandoned by their parents and have been left behind. They are always hoping for people with good hearts to adopt them and welcome them into a family.

When I work for Voices of Our Youth, I feel like a hero. I know I’m contributing to this world. I’m granting children an opportunity to have a brighter future and improve the quality of their childhood. VOOY is an evening when we, the youth, are able to share our feelings and thoughts; when we can say what we need to say, and be ourselves. We are able to express our thoughts any way we want. Voices Of Our Youth is the biggest event the middle school organizes and it’s one of the biggest fund-raising events in the whole school.

VOOY is basically a wonderful evening in which we can express our views in many different ways (poems, songs, letters, essays, etc…). This is a unique opportunity when people are all the same; it doesn’t matter where you come from or what you have. What matters the most is that we are all just normal people saying what we need to say.

After VOOY last year, I completely felt like a hero. I knew what we did made the world a better place for those children. When we went to the orphanage, we could play with the children and be with them for an hour or two. When I was playing with them, I could see how happy they were with only the few things they had and a little love. These children definitely deserve something better. We have to help them so that their quality of life can improve. These children deserve to have a caring family who will make them happy. So let’s get to work and all be little heroes.

If you would like to help us make a difference in the lives of the orphans and people of La Paz and Haiti, you can purchase a ticket or make a donation by contacting us at 2792302 or 2794750 ext 203.

Or check our website and donate online at vooylp.yolasite.com

Voices Of Our Youth
“Our Voice is Hope. Our Hope is Change.”
March 25, 2010


vooylp.yolasite.com

-Grade Eight student

No comments: