Sunday, November 18, 2007

Giving thanks in Bolivia

We may be a bit early, yet never is the wrong time for approximately 20 of us to gather together, hold hands and share our blessings and give thanks. And that is what took place at Maria and Rick's home yesterday evening. It was awesome to hear the different voices, adults and children alike, speak of their thankfulness for many different things. It is not often that you stand in a circle offering thanks with students that you teach. Pretty amazing.
The food was great and I even took some time yesterday and got a reciepe for an asparagus cassarole off the internet. (Thanks mom) It was well-liked and finished when the night was done, no leftovers. Not too bad. This is actually the second Thanksgiving I have celebrated in Bolivia, the first being Canadian Thanksgiving, which was also a blessing entirely. After church today we have a small Thanksgiving Pot Luck as well.
I do have much for which to be thankful. I have amazing parents and family who love me and support me to all lengths; I have friends who will travel far distances, over land and sea to visit and get a glimpse of "my new world" and others who share themselves with me through words and gift, giving me a piece of home here in Bolivia. I am very thankful for the simple and the grand, that the Lord would bless beyond all that I know and all that I deserve. He does lead us home, yet I am coming to find that home is not a place on this Earth. He leads us to Him, to truth and better existence. it is hard to put your finger on what true home is, but God our father leads us home, to Him, through his creation, his people, His beauty. And in that, his beauty and his majesty, His workmanship...he puts you and I and smiles, for it is not, He is not complete without us. The creator of all that is God, of the Moutains that I see everyday out my windows and on my way to work, with his hand he created those, and with the same hand he made me and holds me and will fight for me. How truly blessed are we, the children of God.

2 comments:

Doby said...

Just keep goin.

joeldaniel said...

great thoughts on home. finish garden state yet?