Thursday, August 30, 2007

The Bolivian Typhoon!

Well, apparently it is accustom to visiting the beautiful, towering city of La Paz to feel like death within close proximity to arrival, and I was not fortunate enough to avoid such happenings.
I missed my first day of school on Tuesday due to extreme flu like symptoms....whoa! I don't get sick often and it did pass within a little over 24 hours, but the Bolivian flu/altitude sickness is not pretty. I have been told that I need to slow down with working out and just take it easy...I have been running and feeling great and also going to a spinning class with some girls from school...there was also a lovely bug flying around ACS, so it was probably a combination of the two. Either way, most of the symptoms have passed and I am feeling quite a bit better and back into the swing of things. Many people from the school called and offered everything and anything and my amazing maid, Polonia, made me soup and corn bread, as well as some chicken and rice. All easy on the stomach. Coca tea is also a great biproduct of the coca plant that is very medicinal here.

I went to my first espanol lesson today and I will be attending twice weekly, so here we go...I even have homework. I am going with rachel and she has been going for a year now, so I have some catching up to do, but la professora says I'm bien....we shall see...as you can see I didn't put that sentence together (juantas) well, so I'm taking it step by step, hoping to learn as much as I can.
It is exciting to learn! I am headed out again this weekend to Sul y Luna, a small hippieish retreat that is in a much lower altitude of Bolivia, and with that MUCH warmer!!!! Very exciting...remember, it can be in the 30s at night here and up to 70 in the sun during the day...only in the sun though...summer begins Sept. 21!!!
chao!

3 comments:

TyKomjati said...

i hate that bolivian flu... it gets me every time.

joeldaniel said...

glad you're feeling better & hope your weekend away was refreshing. and ty's right...that bolivian flu's a doozy.

Doby said...

Glad your feeling better. Just take it easy. There's a little bug going around up here to because I've got it also. So have a great summer.