Thursday, August 23, 2007

"Home"

I feel like I have been in La Paz for quite some time. I find myself referring to my place as "home." I am finding myself fairly comfortable at school. It is amazing how easily one can apapt when forced. I wonder if "forced" is the right word, because I chose this and I was not forced, and do not feel that way. (I don't want to give the wrong impression.) What I am saying is, life really isn't that different here. Of course there are changes and I am not home, but home can be a choice. There is never going to be home like the safe and loving environment where I was raised--never. But as I look around and really look, I guess I realize the importance of love and being intentional with those around you. I think those are the essentials of home and I was fortunate enough to have been and continually to be blessed with. I know that I am fortunate to have that because I have seen people all my life without it, yet even more now as I am further away from that home. Somewhere along the line, not only have I been given that love and intentional living, but I was taught it and how to share it and maybe even create it. I think that is why I am ok. I know that I am loved. It breaks my heart that people don't have that. It breaks my heart that kids don't have that, yet I am blessed with the opportunity everyday to share it. I think that is why I do "my job." What's funny is I get paid to do what I think we are all called to...love. I pray that we are all feeling that love as well as sharing it, espcially with those who we least desire to share with. The world needs so much, yet if each of us were to show another love in a day, what needs might go away? I am not naively stating that the world's problems will vanish, yet I am saying love can heal wounds and there are multiple ways to love on another. When you look around, I think a little love can go a long way.

4 comments:

Doby said...

You are absolutely right the world is'n perefect but we can sure as heck try to improve it.

Jessica said...

You're right about love. So true.

At my church, someone said, "Home is when you're smack dab in the middle of God's plan for your life". In that case, I think you are home, at least for now. :-)

It's great reading your thoughts and stories.

joeldaniel said...

Zach Braff put it this way in Garden State:

Andrew: You know that point in your life when you realize that the house that you grew up in isn't really your home anymore? All of the sudden even though you have some place where you can put your stuff that idea of home is gone.

Sam: I still feel at home in my house.

Andrew: You'll see when you move out it just sort of happens one day one day and it's just gone. And you can never get it back. It's like you get homesick for a place that doesn't exist. I mean it's like this rite of passage, you know. You won't have this feeling again until you create a new idea of home for yourself, you know, for your kids, for the family you start, it's like a cycle or something. I miss the idea of it. Maybe that's all family really is. A group of people who miss the same imaginary place.

--

I don't know that I agree with it entirely, but it's interesting. I think we do all miss some imaginary place...that point in childhood when (because we were raised in middle class America) we were to naive to know that even our parents had difficulties and trials and pain, let alone the rest of the world.

But the question comes in how we respond. And that's where I think you're capturing it brilliantly. We can't just go on, wishing it was more like it was. We can't get caught, with John Mayer, "waiting on the world to change." But you...you're bringing some change. A little bit of lyndsaroo love, spilling over into kids lives in La Paz.

Show 'em whatcha got : )

Sandy Miller said...

LYNDSEY DEAN!!!! oh man have i missed you!! It's abby miller, your mom gave me your blog at a football game! its so great to talk to you! guess what! i have a college visit at Malone tomorrow and a meeting with the track coach! i went to a throwers camp over the summer there and fell in love with thier track team! my college choices as of right now are: kent, malone, and slipper rock! im very excited for college, harvey has changed so much in the past summer its not even funny! i love all my classes this year! i could not have asked for a better schedual! I quit the volleyball team and am working hard on discus already! it soulds like your doing awesome! I hear youre going to egypt around next year? or is my mom just crazy? sounds about the time Rachaels going to be there! she totally wants you email though! so hit her up! I MISS YOU! but am very happy that youre happy!! talk to you soon!!!